Tuesday, June 20, 2006

 

Careful with that check card

As soon as I got back from my trip abroad this summer, I went to the grocery store. It was a fairly standard trip until I went to pay. For the first time ever, my check card was denied. I had some cash, so I just paid and walked away scratching my head.

I checked the balance when I got home and, as it turned out, I was overdrawn by more than $600. (&%$*!) Someone had been using my card information to make purchases online the whole time I was out of the country, although I never lost the physical card. They must have thought I was a real idiot for not noticing it for a whole week. Perhaps the only funny part is that they spent most of the money at online dating sites. WTF?

So the money was placed back into my account and I have a new card now. Whether I get to keep the money or not depends on the results of the investigation, which I was told will wrap up by July 14th.

I used to use my card everywhere, and now I rarely do. I guess it'll take some time for me to warm back up to it. Moral of the story: be careful with your card. Someone must have written down the 3-digit security code on the back of my card in order to make all those online transactions, so make sure no one gets that information. And as always, early detection is key. People can buy a lot of stuff on your dime if you give them a whole week.

Comments:
That's horrible!

But even scarier is that the 3 digit code on the back of the card is not always required when making purchases online. I often buy from online sellers and sometimes only the card number is required without the security code on the back.

I always use my credit card (rather than a debit), so that my banking information isn't at risk, but it's still scary to think that someone could be going to eHarmony on my dime.
 
Wow. That is scary as hell.

When ever I was still working at a bank we had a few people come in with that problem. It's easier to get that information than you would think.

That's one messed up welcome-home present though.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
CrispAds Blog Ads

Does someone you know deserve flowers?
Web Site Hit Counter
Dell Canada

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?