Tuesday, August 01, 2006

 

Change Wal-Mart, Change America?

I may never understand the Anti-WalMartarians, but this is kind of interesting. They're going to drive a tour bus across these here United States and try to attract some support for their cause. They have also officially branded themselves a left-wing movement by calling Wal-Mart's agenda, which they obviously hate, "right-wing." Plus they are getting help from the ditsy (yet curiously charming) former NC Senator John Edwards. I'm glad his job at UNC is not in jeopardy over this campaign (they love fallen Democrats at UNC). I bet he would never concede that Wal-Mart does more to help poor people than all the government programs he lobbies for.

Check out the link and note that the bus isn't going anywhere near the South, which has a very dense Wal-Mart population. I personally think they would get booed out of the South unless they stuck to college campuses.

"Starting August 1st, for 35 straight days, WakeUpWalMart.com is taking its national movement, and headquarters, on the road in a non-stop, cross-country tour hitting 19 states and 35 cities in 35 days. From the East Coast, to America's heartland, to the West Coast, the "2006 Change Wal-Mart, Change America Tour" is taking to the streets to fight for a better America.

"In town halls, public squares, and at state fairs, America's most exciting grassroots movement is standing up to rich, powerful corporations like Wal-Mart and spreading the word that it is time for Wal-Mart to do what is right instead of taking America in the wrong direction."

http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/tour/rsvp/


Comments:
I wonder what "do what is right" is supposed to entail?

Hmmm...seems a bit vague.

I wonder if entitlements are included?
 
I love me some entitlements now...
 
They're really into the idea of a living wage, so that's probably most of what "doing what is right" is all about.

If they continue to complain that a beginning Wal-Mart associate's wage is (1/whatever) the hourly compensation of Lee Scott, why not just mandate that all Wal-Mart workers, indeed everyone in the world while we're at it, not be paid less than him?

That's right, I said it. A multi-million dollar minimum wage! That will handle all of our problems. We'd all lose our jobs, but we'd finally be able to really stick it to Wal-Mart.
 
This is one of the cases that's such a hard sell for us ring-wing loonies out to save Wal-Mart. Until most Americans take Econ 101, it'll be difficult to explain that paying people $5.15 an hour isn't just "corporate greed."
 
I think this is all just a case of misplaced ageression. I would say most of the people that dislike walmart really want to help the poor. Why else would they care?

The problem is they confuse the reason for why people are poor. It isn't because "the corporations" are greedy. It's because they aren't productive.

Like Travis said, Walmart has done more to help the poor than a minimum wage ever will. That's why someone should set these people straight before they replicate what happened in Chicago two weeks ago.

I know if the Bus finds its way to NC, I'll climb aboard! At least until they kick me off.

PS* Why are only "the corporations" evil? Why not other business forms? Why not sole proprietorships? Or those villianous Massachusetss Business Trusts?
 
"Walmart has done more to help the poor than a minimum wage ever will. That's why someone should set these people straight..."

Anyone care to take on Student's challenge and start a website solely devoted to Anti-WalMart watch? I'll help.

Maybe we can start a new blog and invite fellow Anti-Anti-WalMart people to post. Does such a thing already exist?

We can't just sit idly and let living wage idiots take over. That would be hell.
 
I think some good domain names would be:

livingwageidiots.com
savewalmart.com
savewallyworld.com
deathbystupidity.com
livinginpoverty.com
livingwageraze.com

And my personal favorite:

wageraze.com
 
I like it.

And you're right - someone has to set these fools straight.
 
Well...I just bought the two domains:

www.payraze.com

and

www.wageraze.com

A free blog comes with the site, so I will try and get that set up initially in the coming days (depending on how easy everything is). If you each want to contribute to getting this thing up and rolling, please let me know. You know how to reach me.
 
You know I'm in!
 
Me too! What do you want me to do?
 
I pledge my life to this cause.
 
Then that's all we ask....
 
Woo Hoo!
 
Let's see if we can get more contributors to the new blog than we currently have on board. I would also openly encourage debate from the other side, which could get very interesting.
 
Who are Austrian Economists most likely allies? Who are most likely to "convert" given the right exposure? What would that exposure look like? I'm sure you all wrestled with some of these issues at SPEL. What conclusions did you reach?
Does shameless self-plugging on multiple other sites work? In my experience (http://jurisnaturalist.blogspot.com) no.

Nathan
 
Well SPEL isn't trying to convert anyone since it's an academic student group.

I, however, am trying desperately to get people to see what they have been missing. In this case, my support for Wal-Mart is grounded in laissez-faire ideology and not necessarily in Austrian Economics. The latter is a value-free science, while the former is value-packed. People confuse them because most Austrian Economists tend to be politically laissez-faire.

Hopefully people will pay attention to the science, though, when it says quite clearly that imposing a minimum wage will cause unemployment. Then, if your ideology says that's a good thing, we can bring it into the ideological debate.

It's a shame, but I don't think the other side even accepts this widely-realized fact of economics. A lot of people will get hurt if no one does their homework on this. To be honest, I feel sick every time I fail to convince someone of it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
CrispAds Blog Ads

Does someone you know deserve flowers?
Web Site Hit Counter
Dell Canada

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?